Counter

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Background

Monday, December 27, 2010

Home for the Holidays!

So, I flew home on December 23rd back to South Bend.  It was my first time taking Allegiant Air which is a direct flight from Mesa, AZ to South Bend, IN.  I was very impressed and I couldn't beat the 2 hours and 50 min it took to get home instead of the 2 legs and usual 8 hours it would take.  I was also lucky enough to sit right behind my girlfriend Jenn Megan-Moon, her hubby, and perfect angel Taylor (and I do mean perfect, she never let out a peep!).
Ryan and I had decided on a name for our little boy, peanut, but had yet to announce it to the world so I could tell Mom and Dad in person.  That evening I got the chance to do that before we went out to dinner.  Of course Dad shed a few tears and Mom was very excited.  So for everyone that hasn't already heard his name will be Michael Thomas Fix.  Michael is Ryan's Dads first name, and also my Dad's Middle name.  Thomas is my Dad's first name.  We decided we wanted something strong and traditional and I think we got that.  It was also very important to have names carried on in the family.  So from now on my Mom says I can't call him "it, him, kid, child, or peanut"..... It is now Michael:) 

For dinner we headed down to 523 where I got to see some of my parents friends, Al and Sally Rowe, and also my big bro, Dave, and three of his kids, Joe, Mac, and Steph. 
~Big bro and I~

After we got back to the house my Mom had me open up one of my presents.  Mom had made me a digital picture frame FILLED with 100+ pictures of my side of the family so Michael will know EVERYONE.  I absolutely love it and know she spent a lot of time pulling all of the pictures together.  She even left room for Ryan's side of the family.  It was funny because the one thing I wanted to do when I was home was grab some pictures and it was all taken care of.  Thanks Mom SO much for this!  Most of you know that I love things that are home made by others and this was just AWESOME!!!  Here are a few pictures that were on there.  I will share more later in hopefully a video form.  Oh, and the reason she wanted me to open it early...... So everyone could see it on Christmas Eve.  Everyone loved it!!!!

~My Popo (Mom's Dad) and me.  He always called me Katydid~

 
~This was Christmas 1981- Me with my older brother and sisters~


Christmas Eve went uneventful.  I got up and helped Mom prepare for the 40+ people for dinner.  Every year since my Momo has passed away my Mom has held Christmas Eve dinner.  Typically it is my Aunts, Uncles, Great Aunts, Great Uncles, Cousins, Seconds Cousins, and so on.  Each year the number dwindles as families expand (or as some have become more stubborn than lead).  As much as the whole process of setting up, serving, and taking down involves, it's always awesome to watch it evolve and be a part of it.  Mom gets out her sterling silverware, we use real table cloths, and of course drink a lot (well not me this year anyways).  We had white chili for dinner with caesar salad and rolls.  Mom made some great appetizers including bacon wrapped dates, dilly roll, sun dried tomatoes and pesto dip.  It was a very eventful evening. 
~Robert and me- dickhead kept pushing a beer in my face~




Christmas morning we used to get up and go over to my Momo's house and have souffle and celebrate Christmas with my Mom's side.  The past few years we have moved the breakfast to Dad's house and have the festivities there.... complete with the best Bloody Mary's in the world.  This year all five of us kids were there.  It was really good to see all of my brothers and sisters and even some of my nieces and nephews that I haven't seen in a long time.  It is crazy how fast those kids grow into young men and women, it really amazes me.  The only people missing was my sister Debbie's two girls Alli, her husband Brandon, and Jess who were in Boise, ID and also my brother Dave's daughter Brandi.  Mackenzie and Steph, Dave's daughters, weren't there Christmas morning but I did get to see them the night before when we were out to eat at 523.


~This is what happens when Dad drinks too many vodkas, goes home, spills water on his 30 day pill supply and tries to "dry" it off in the microwave. . . Then doesn't realize what he did till the next day!~

~This is what happens when Mom mixes wine with rolls that have to rise over night!~

~Souffle doesn't stay around long at our house~

~Deb and I~

~"What's in the BIG BAG"~

~Michael and Austin playing with Legos- so reminded me of Robert as a kid~

~Some times I miss him, other times I miss him TONS~

~Me and my Mama~

~My niece Andrea, haven't seen her in forever.  Miss you babe!!~

~And my niece Livy- Oh hell how she has grown into a beautiful girl!!!~

~Dad and his kiddos~

~Mom, Dad, Robert and I~

~Debbie is going to be a Grandma in early June.  She can't decide on a name that she wants the baby to call her so I thought I would confuse her a little more on Christmas.  She wants Grandmas Goddess!~

After Dad's we headed over to visit Bess.  Bess has been a great friend and mother figure to my Mom for many, many, many years.  Mom goes over to her house every Saturday evening for dinner.  Bess is one of the smartest women I have ever met and I don't think there is another person in this world that tells it like she does!  It's good to know that Mom has such a good friend to spend her time with.  Thanks Bess for always being there when I can't!!!


Mom and I tried to lay down for a nap on Christmas afternoon but as you can see some of the pups tried to stop her:)

Christmas night we typically head over to my Great Aunt Ruth's for dinner. Her son Tony and her always cook up an amazing Italian dinner consisting of mostaccioli, garlic bread, and salad.  This year it was held at my Great Aunt Pat's house instead but the food and atmosphere was still amazing.

Sunday I headed back home to the warm Phoenix weather, Ryan and his family.  Though it was a busy and short trip home I enjoyed every minute I had.  Thanks to all my family for making my Christmas so great.  I love and miss you all daily!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment